Mom and Dad


Every “child” has baggage given to them by their parents (if you deny this …hmmm.. think harder) … no one is perfect and the job of raising a child is mind blowing… without a doubt it is the most stressful and delightful thing you can do in life… tremendous ups and downs and lots of drama …

So my dad (liked to be called Pappy) was born and raised on a farm (raised in poverty) lived through the great depression … I remember being told for Christmas the children would get a piece of fruit as their gift they were that poor. During the summer they were told to walk barefoot, to save their shoes for “special occasions” … They worked the field grew everything they ate, had cows, goats, pigs, chickens and horses …

My dad’s father was a “crazy Catholic” instilled pure fear into his children … that God was the one waiting to  throw them into hell, hence most of my dad’s siblings turned away from the Church when they were grown… much like is done to the laity now .. Via dogma and rules of the Church... Do this or God is going to throw you into hell!! 

My mom she was raised in a “Middle Class” Catholic family … they had the capacity to take vacations, buy cars and live a comfortable life… My grandmother was super religious…

Looking back I feel sorry for both of my parents … the untapped potential they both had… My father had a brilliant mind… he knew and could speak Polish and Latin (random I know but he knew it) and a working knowledge of several other languages, he also had extensive knowledge of history and in philosophy he was impressive (although not schooled in said) … I think he would have made a great college Professor

My mom had brilliance as well that went untapped in the world … she was an excellent organizer and manager of finances… she had passion as well for social issues and for her family. She read a lot and secretly wanted to be a mystery writer … Yet in her world and time born, women were not trained to think you could do these things, they were trained to “get married and take care of your husband” … I think my mom could have made a great author … 

I wonder how much potential is lost in the world … human potential … by poverty … by lack of education… by fear … by just not being given the opportunity to succeed …

So for all of those who are successful in life … you are not special you are the ones who were given the opportunity to succeed, for your life is not more valuable than the ones who are poor and underachieved... They are you, but by the grace of God …

So get off your high horse and remember your God and be grateful for what He has given you …         

Mom and Dad

https://thekindledspiritofebooks.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts