Grandpa and Grandma plus Fanny & George


My dad’s … mom and dad … both from Poland … both died prior to my birth, yet I am rich in stories about them from my father and his siblings …

Grandpa first came to the USA and settled in Denver Colorado during the “gold rush”… apparently had a little of gold himself for he purchased a “saloon” even had dancing girls in this saloon in Denver … a lively place … men purchased beers with their “gold nuggets” and played poker with their 45 handguns on the table…  

Grandpa made out really good with that saloon... Decided to sell it and went back to Poland to share his loot with the family there … but soon Grandpa had the call to return to the USA… This time to Pennsylvania... Scranton, the city had a large Polish community … he was able to purchase a farm in Hawley, Pa with his brother … a huge piece of property... This is where my father was born and grew up … children kept being born into the family and soon money became an issue and my grandfather in addition to being a farmer, started to work in the coal mines …

Enter in grandma … she saw the family was struggling to be fed, so being the entrepreneur … she decided to bootleg whiskey to help make ends meet … hey it was prohibition  and there was a “need in the market for booze”  … a “capitalist concept” … find a need in the market place and fill it … so grandma filled bottles with white lightening … I was told grandma always prayed the rosary as she was tending to her still and filling bottles with white lightening … (so as a kid after hearing this story I had mental image of the Virgin Mary tending a still and filling bottles with boot legged whiskey )  

My father always impressed on me that his mother and father were a team… they worked together and stayed together... And dad compared their marriage to “George and Fanny”… the horses pictured with grandpa and grandma in the photo… dad said … George and Fanny pulled the wagon together in the same direction and this way they got the job done  … that is a nice thought about marriage …

My grandpa would use that wagon all the time to tend to his chores and family needs … but grandpa would also use that wagon to visit people who were sick or families that lost a loved one and he would pray the rosary, with them. I was told grandpa would chant the litany of the saints as he did his daily chores and sing songs in Polish to the Virgin Mary… my father at the end of his life started to sing songs to the Virgin Mary as well (of course in Polish)  and he had a favorite Polish Christmas song he would sing ... this song ...  

Lulajże Jezuniu 


  

  my father had a beautiful voice ... as a child he would sing to the cows in the pasture ... 
And my dad would sing to me growing up and to my children when they were small... 

In English the title to the above song is

Sleep little Jesus


Grandpa and Grandma with Fanny and George

https://thekindledspiritofebooks.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts