I will never forget


9/11/01 as usual I was up very early in the morning, it was still dark outside and I took my collie for a walk. It was a beautiful morning the sky perfectly clear not a cloud in the sky.



I was to have a yard sale the coming weekend and I had planned on tagging a few items in the garage for the sale … so I turned on a local radio station to hear music as I worked in the garage … as I was singing along with the songs… I hear a news flash on the radio … “plane hits the world trade center”… I immediate call my daughter who worked in NYC… the phone line was busy … so I emailed her… she said she did not know what was going on outside … but the sounds of police and fire sirens were filling the streets outside …



I decided to turn on the TV just in time to see a second plane hit the World Trade Center … Then things became surreal to me … like an out of body experience … I could not believe what I seeing before my eyes … I knew instantly we were being attacked on our native soil … something that never entered my mind could happen in America and on such a grand scale … then friends began to call me and schools began to be let out and public buildings began to be emptied … no one  knew what would happen next… where a plane might hit next … 


I got into my car and drove to Garrett Mountain in West Paterson, NJ … from the top of the mountain I could see the skyline of Manhattan  and there I stood watching the lower end of the City fill with black smoke and thinking my daughter in on that island as are hundreds of thousands of people… I could not process what I was seeing … my mind shut down … this was to big … this was too scary to be really happening I thought …


I also knew many cops in the area and some who were NYC cops and rescue workers… one who stands out the most to me is Jerome … one of many who died saving others on 9/11/01    …

  Officer Jerome Dominguez was killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks while attempting to rescue the victims trapped in the World Trade Center.


I was extremely close to the Dominguez family and I loved them dearly, such great faith and they always shared themselves and their faith with me … both of Jerome parents were strong Catholics and Dr. Dominguez a highly regarded speaker in the Hispanic community … When he died his story appeared in the archdiocese’s of New York’s newspaper http://cny.org/stories/jesuit-father-burghardt,4715

And I invite you to read about young Jerome ... a super sweet man with great love for his fellow man ...

https://www.americanpolicenews.com/dominguez.html




And since I like “performance art” in expressing one’s self and making you think and “feel”… I also attach a YouTube video … to honor all our heroes who watch over us every day … the police and fireman/ women   


Popular Posts