Dumpster diving


For those who do not know what dumpster diving is … short answer going into a garbage dumpster to see what people throw out or it can include the “trash”, people place on the sidewalk for garbage collection … and yes I have done this many times in the past … I am a bit old to do so now, I would probably get stuck in the dumpster …



But a couple of decades ago I lived in Wayne, NJ near a senior citizen’s complex … Back then I would walk my dog very early in the morning and I would pass by the dumpsters as I walked and I always knew when a senior citizen had died…. For the dumpster would be filled with furniture, and clothing … I would stop by the dumpster and look to see if there was anything in there of value … such as funky furniture or retro clothing  from the 1940’s which were made to last, not like today’s garments…




If there was funky furniture in the dumpster, I would return home, get into my car and drive back to the dumpster and take whatever was “nice” and bring it home … As I type this post I sit next to one such item … a small cabinet with crystal knobs …. Over the years I found pricey items in dumpsters that sold for hundreds of dollars and now would sell for thousands of dollars in an antique shop … and I would also drive around high end sections of town … especially if there were old mansions in the area … such as where my Bishop lives in the “East side section” of Paterson … when those large mansions were sold many people wanted to update them and would throw out Tiffany lamps, antique singer sewing machines, lead crystal vases …. Etc. … what a waste and slap in the face to “history” and true art  … I know someone who gutted their big old home of its charm and originality to furnish it with “Ikea” fixtures … WOW … talk about “trash” that store majors in it … made trendy and cheaply …  



Maybe the most disturbing thing to me … are the relatives who threw away the “stuff” and valuables of their parents and grandparents … things that could have been passed down to the next generation, things that could have kept the memory of the deceased loved one alive … there is no tradition anymore, no sense of family (as in normal that is) … even the commercials for ancestry. com on TV … show grandchildren surprised to learn about grandparents, through DNA tests they took … WOW … you mean they were never told of grandparents growing up???  They had to take a DNA test to find a grandparent … where the hell were the parents raising these children who are now adults ...


I think of God the Father … He is like a “dumpster diver” as well … he goes looking for the people who other people threw out in life … those who others thought were just garbage and cast them off … they were never “garbage” to our heavenly Father … why “Abba” even trained his Son to dumpster dive and search for souls others threw away … it is a messy job and you can get hurt jumping into those dumpsters … but you can find priceless things in them …. Like a lost soul …


 So why did I think about dumpster diving … I read the article below … but I have to say … I would have kept the money and helped others with it … the grandchild threw the grandparent’s item away … did not even bother to  look to see if the grandparent had hidden anything … you have to search a person literally and figuratively to learn what is of value to them (and for this you need to spend time with them)  … and if that grandchild was close to their grandparent he would have told them, he hid money … there was no communication … the grandchild  probably was texting and not developing a relationship … yet I blame the parent … grandchildren are who they are by the way they are raised and respect given to parents and grandparents   …  

https://www.wtrf.com/top-news/man-returns-money-after-finding-43000-in-couch-he-purchased-at-thrift-store/


As a child my father would tell me… if I saw a pile of horse manure … I would dig in it,  convinced I would eventually find a pony at the bottom of the pile … I try to use those “skills” to remember,  look deep into a person … go past all their “crap” and find the pony inside of them … Hey .... maybe this is why Jesus was born in a stable  




https://thekindledspiritofebooks.blogspot.com




Popular Posts